Sign in to follow this  
xaruunthewanderer

Upgrade table limits for up coming season

Hey all! My proposal is we limit the upgrade tables to apprentice level for upgrades (journeyman with lucky roll) to better balance the server. The tables themselves more or less already make jouneyman level equipment at mastercraft blueprint quality, and this will reduce the amount of 700% clubs and shotguns that cheese RPvP on the server, as well as reduce the amount of people running around in full sets of nearly impervious armor that never needs to be repaired. This should help keep everything balanced while still giving a definite quality advantage for those willing to farm. Thanks!

I think this is one of the most common responses to the upgrade table situation. The tradeoff here is that it is fairly easy to roll for max weapons (as the cost for two upgrade steps usually isn't too bad).

The good of this is that it means anyone could prepare themselves mechanically for pvp, as with the current upgrade situation there's a sizable wall. Not everyone 'abuses' this though, I've known pvp'ers to potentially handicap themselves to their opponent's level for the sake of things being fair and interesting.

The bad is that there is less time investment into creating exceptional gear. The more work that goes into the item, the more attached the creator is to it. It's possible to say that people are too attached, too afraid to lose their things in pvp, but I don't actually have a gauge on that sentiment. By making upgrading a series of quick, low cost dice rolls you risk cheapening the 'ordeal' people go through to make them.

In the end, my perfect solution would be to keep the number of upgrade steps we have now, but lower the amount of % or durability increased per step. I've been told and even seen myself that the configs for this are fucky, to say the least, and this would be more difficult to implement than changing a few values.

So with that, I agree that lowering the upgrade steps to White->Green->Blue and keeping the lucky quality jumps beyond that is the best answer.

There additionally was talk of characters able to bring items to the Traders to make into blueprints. This should probably be a different thread, but I think these two changes are important to pair together. I would advise people need to register as a blacksmith (like how breeding licenses are handled) to do this, but I think it would be a widely welcomed change.

I think this is one of the most common responses to the upgrade table situation. The tradeoff here is that it is fairly easy to roll for max weapons (as the cost for two upgrade steps usually isn't too bad).

The good of this is that it means anyone could prepare themselves mechanically for pvp, as with the current upgrade situation there's a sizable wall. Not everyone 'abuses' this though, I've known pvp'ers to potentially handicap themselves to their opponent's level for the sake of things being fair and interesting.

The bad is that there is less time investment into creating exceptional gear. The more work that goes into the item, the more attached the creator is to it. It's possible to say that people are too attached, too afraid to lose their things in pvp, but I don't actually have a gauge on that sentiment. By making upgrading a series of quick, low cost dice rolls you risk cheapening the 'ordeal' people go through to make them.

In the end, my perfect solution would be to keep the number of upgrade steps we have now, but lower the amount of % or durability increased per step. I've been told and even seen myself that the configs for this are fucky, to say the least, and this would be more difficult to implement than changing a few values.

So with that, I agree that lowering the upgrade steps to White->Green->Blue and keeping the lucky quality jumps beyond that is the best answer.

There additionally was talk of characters able to bring items to the Traders to make into blueprints. This should probably be a different thread, but I think these two changes are important to pair together. I would advise people need to register as a blacksmith (like how breeding licenses are handled) to do this, but I think it would be a widely welcomed change.

To help deal with spamming of rolls, it is very possible to make failed rolls more common and increase the amount of resources wasted. Sure, it's still possible to just keep rolling, but it'd be far less automated than just "fill table, press button until you get something you like" it'd also increase upgrade cost per piece

I would advise against using increased frustration/failure as a method of balancing. While it works statistically, it's generally received poorly by the users.

The spamming of rolls isn't the problem, it's the amount of time/effort that goes into pressing the upgrade button. The bench is more or less a gambling tool. The more anticipation you build before each 'pull of the handle', the more satisfying the process. So harvesting materials, selecting your best weapon so far to try and upgrade, and then rolling that dice is where you get the burst of "fun". By cheapening the process...well you do just that, cheapen the process and make it less satisfying.

Actual estimated value and perceived value are different things, and by increasing failure (and the cost of failure to boot) you drop the perceived value into the gutter.

The solution to the less 'impactful' upgrading process I think lies in the blueprint system. Add a reward to the person who is doing the mass crafting, instead of taking away from everyone.

Capping weapons to 200% and durability on armor to 300-350 is the optimal way for PvP. I've done PvP on a lot of private servers that followed this formula and it generally led to an always fun fight. Snipers don't one-shot armor, compound bows can almost one-hit on a headshot if the helmet armor is weak-ish. Shotguns can only double-tap strip armor if you land EVERY shot and that is very hard to do against a moving target. Longnecks can't two-shot armor of decent durability at this quality. I haven't personally been around for anything on this server since the first season of this new volume/season stuff, but if there's weapons breaking even 300% then they're going to rip armor no matter the durability scores.

The armor scores for armor doesn't really impact much. Basic flak armor rating reduces damage by aprox 75% at vanilla rates IIRC. Armor doesn't improve the duration of durability either from what I've been able to gather from a lot of tests, if it's been changed in recent patches I've missed that. Durability is what matters, since even if a piece of armor has 1 durability point left it'll block the full amount of damage you take before it breaks on that last point. You'll rarely kill someone from full HP to zero while they have full armor on (rarely as in I've never done it myself) especially since all it takes is to bring a stack of healing brews and you'll never die while wearing full armor slots. So in the end armor score is irrelevant though shared with the durability roll, sort of. Only exceptions to this are high-damage dinos (Gigas, Rexes, Spinos, ect), high damage compound bows (if they one-shot you they generally one-shot the armor piece anyways) and the RPG, and you can survive THAT if you have high enough armor rating.

Past those statements, with everyone having the blueprint station keeping gear capped at effective stats is important. In ARK, weapons always out-scale gear quicker. The higher the durability of the armor matters a lot, but at the end a 400% assault rifle can and will melt a 1000 durability armor piece like it was nothing, where as a 200% assault rifle will require a fair amount of shots to break a 350 durability chest piece. I've done it on a few servers, and always advocate lower weapon damage compared to armor rolls. I intend to try ARKRP once again on this new season/volume, and I'd strongly advocate reducing the quality of gear that you get from the blueprint station to reflect stats that promote a fun PvP experience. Making everything higher, if there really are clubs and and shotguns at 700% damage, doesn't improve the PvP experience. Just makes people one-shot wonders against even high durability armor. Armor melting away or killing people in 1-3 shots doesn't make PvP in ARK any better.

Yep, I think this is a good middle ground to the OP upgrade table of Volume II and the possibility of just blueprints/drops.

No more words needed, I'm all for it!

Regards,

Koge

I condone the blueprint/drop idea...amd that has nothing at all to do with me needing blueprints for my character....nothing at all....what were we even talking about? >.>

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk