The Upgrade Station

Upgrade Station  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Upgrade Station

• Keep it
    • Remove it
    • Keep but add restrictions

Hey!

I've been talking to a few people and I wanted to spark another discussion about the upgrade station. My personal opinnion is that the intent was pure but in practical terms it has not improved anything. I believe that we should bring blueprints back. Originally it was put in game (I believe) for the technomancers, where they could forge brilliant weapons and armour using the magic they have practised. Unfortunately it was not respected as such and everyone was grinding and grinding to get that 600% shotgun and 800 armour chestpiece. I'm going to break this post down into different sections as to why I believe it should be removed:

Grinding

For those who have gone through the grind of relentlessly trying to get that mastercraft item, they will tell you about the endless resources they have flooded through to construct this perfect game-ending item. Yes, before we had to go to different underwater drops to hopefully get a good blueprint, but some people (me included) found this to be rather enjoyable. Regardless, that time obtaining that blueprint was about as much time as I'd spend mining metal, and at least this time around I got some RP out of it. A nastier tribe found out I had these items, and bullied me into submission and forced me to trade with them in exchange for protection and collection of owed goods and payment.

When you got the blueprint, you can make as much as you like of that object. Where as with the upgrade station, you are selfishly creating weapons and armour for yourself and will need to repeat that over and over again until you find yourself lucky enough to make something similar again.

Lore

If blueprints return, I personally believe the lore should be something like this - Magical individuals trained in the arts of Infusion had once practised on the island, and had left schematics for other young Infusion-apprentices to take their learnings and improve upon them. I don't know how you would explain them falling out of the sky or appearing within the water, but that will keep the theme of magic alive. Now with Alchemy and Technomancy being merged together, the risk of cutting the feet off of technomancy-based RPers is reduced.

PVP

2 seasons ago, mid-season, staff made a controversial decision to cap weapon damage and armour levels for all gear. Alot of the work that had been done throughout the season was lost, alot of people were upset about it. With time, the frustraition disappeared and we were left with a very very fair system. 180% weapon damage for weapons, 250% weapon damage for tools, and 180armour per armour piece. You knew that when you were fighting you were fighting on level ground.

Now, there are people with 400% + clubs and weapons which take people down in a single stroke. There is no skill, there is no enoyable fight, just a quick swing and it's all over. I personally believe that regardless of what decision is made for next season regarding the upgrade station, we should make it a rule to have the club primitive-only. For someone to be able to win a 6v1 using just a club, whilst being shot by rifles and shotguns, is a bit unimmersive.

That's just my input :) I have left a poll here too just to see what the general feel is of others. Please keep it friendly and, by all means, rip me to shreds for having such a stupid idea.

Thanks!

Jack

Unless we're adding tek tier there's no person or creature on this server that needs a 600% damage weapon to be taken down, nor does anyone need a 200+ saddle since they don't need to withstand the damage from a hard-level broodmother. And the club is strong enough without needing to surpass anything but journeyman level to knock most people out.

I know there was a problem with enforcing the cap on weapons, armors and so on because som things will have a random rng drop regardless of how you edit them, but if it got changed back to vanilla settings on drops then everyone has the same oppourtunity to go out there and hunt.

I'm totally on board with this. In theory the mod is a fantastic idea but the execution isn't working as intended. The players who grind their gear to max stats have a true unfair advantage over everyone else. This isn't a pure pvp server. The idea isn't just to grind to win. The whole concept is to roleplay situations. When people are running around with mastercraft armor and 600% swords they can essentially power game any situation they want bc ooc its basically impossible to kill them. It's a detriment to rp because certain characters become gods and don't value their lives because they can't lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with the problems that have come due to the upgrade station, I think it is preferable. The thing is with the upgrade table, the playing field truly is level. Anybody can get that gear with the time. I would support perhaps limiting the max upgrade to apprentice instead of journeyman, or maybe even removing the mechanic that gives the mastercraft jump, that could fix it for sure.

I didn't know you could work with the mod in that way. That seems like the best solution to keep everyone happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@"Basoon" whilst that does address the issue with overpowered gear, I still think it doesn't mitigate the grind that comes along with it. A tribe doesn't need to have a full set of flak blueprints to have good flak. A single tribe could find it in their favour to accumilate flak via trade to put theirselves in a great position with regards to trade. They can have access to fantastic equipment blueprints, and they could have simply traded it with another tribe for a well-bred dino. OR, they could have worked their arse off under the water whilst drop-hunting for a few weeks, and they are set for the rest of the season. Not another true grind needs to be undertaken for the rest of the season where their armour is concerned.

Picture a tribe leader who has a great set of weapon blueprints but has no armour blueprints. He realises that he needs to protect his tribe from the beasties and bad guys that litter the island. He understands through whispers that the only tribe that have the armour blueprints he needs is a tribe that they are not on the best grounds with. That tribe leader is forced to make a decision - "Do I allow my group to be equipped with poor equipment, or do I swallow my pride and go and talk with this other group?"

Now what happens next? Who knows. Good roleplay I expect? But with an upgrade station, no roleplay would be had at all. It would be the tribe mining for hours to get the materials to try their luck on an upgrade station. 

On the point of trades, the blueprints really held alot of value. I remember characters like Ted Flint and his

This is an example of trade that can be opened up.

Cheers :D

I do have to agree with Ordrak on this one. Blueprints bring more RP than the upgrade table ever did. It is just the mechanic of it, that you cannot make the same piece twice.

Imagine someone playing a blacksmith. They grind and grind and grind and still are only able to make the worst armor and weapons, because everything is luck based. You may still be able to RP out, that their weapons are of superior quality, that they are of intricate design and so on and so forth. But when it comes down to strength, they’ll fail. And that just doesn’t work.

Yes, a big problem with blueprints is the hoarding. People will raid and pillage and kill to get the best of the best. They may hoard it and give away a crafted item to a horrendous sum of coins. But you know what that does? It provides RP, it provides conflict, it provides relationships.

Everyone can craft an upgrade station and grind their heart out to get that one illusive item which is greater than everything else. Will they trade it away? Probably not. If they don’t use it themselves it won’t go far from them, probably not leaving their chests or their tribe. That’s just how people are. They know they probably never get anything as good as that one item and won’t give it away.

So, what does that tell us? There is a lack in trade of those items, a lack of interactions, a lack of RP. People will most probably not take those best items into PvP, in fear of losing them.

This all makes it, that those items do not get around, others can’t benefit of them and basically, they’ll change into those legendary items. Never used in combat, heard of, but essentially pretty but useless.

Now what happens next? Who knows. Good roleplay I expect? But with an upgrade station, no roleplay would be had at all. It would be the tribe mining for hours to get the materials to try their luck on an upgrade station. 

On the point of trades, the blueprints really held alot of value. I remember characters like Ted Flint and his

This is an example of trade that can be opened up.

Cheers :D

What you are describing, though, is not a failure of the tool, but a failure of the user.

Suppose I create a character and specifically design him / her to be a primitive blacksmith. It would be completely inappropriate for my character to know how to make a scuba tank (of any quality, honestly). In that respect, if people are doing this, then I agree that this is poor RP (since you are openly contradicting your own story and, technically, power-gaming). That said, the answer isn't to punish the people who use the station responsibly.

Additionally, the upgrade station can provide good roleplay, but this again requires skilled roleplayers. My blacksmith / bowyer / fletcher / engineer may be of sound mind and could be dextrous enough to forge the material, but they may not be able to gather the resources themselves (either because they lack stamina, resources, access to resource nodes, etc). This enables roleplayers to create "quests" and trading opportunities.

As a side note, there is a fundamental problem with the beacon-drop blueprints: the RNG gods are not always kind.

I'll use myself as an example. I may have at most 3-4 hours a day for myself, so let's assume I have 3 hours for ARK. It is the opinion of the server (as I understand) that RP is first and foremost and that we should not attempt to simply walk away from it. However, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, blueprints really are the way to go for making anything. So, if I am expected to roleplay and maintain my character / character's possessions, when am I expected to scavenge the map for a specific beacon for a random chance at getting a blueprint that may (or, most likely, will not be) up to par as an improvement to reflect my character's skill earned by working the forge?

In other words, personally, I don't see how RNG will accurately reflect ARKRP's character development philosophy. I don't see how travelling to a particular beacon equates to RPing at a forge. If anything, the vanilla method secludes people because it encourages me to sneak on when no one else is around, hop on a Ptera, fly around, get annoyed that I did not get a blueprint to reflect my skills, and then log off and crash (because, again, I played when everyone was offline).

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. Maybe I am missing something.

@"keronor"  Yes I would also like to hear more thoughts too :)

With regards to your comment about searching high and low for blueprints, I completely understand where you are coming from. However you are not forced to do this, people have blueprints and then sell the created product via trade, it's the right you earn from searching for the blueprint. You can still obtain it, but you will have to RP it out to set up that arrangement, or pay even more and buy the blueprint yourself.

With regards to your comment about searching high and low for blueprints, I completely understand where you are coming from. However you are not forced to do this, people have blueprints and then sell the created product via trade, it's the right you earn from searching for the blueprint. You can still obtain it, but you will have to RP it out to set up that arrangement, or pay even more and buy the blueprint yourself.

Hey,

I have been monitoring this thread and I felt it appropriate to point out a few things about drops and why I hate them.

First, Ordrak the comment I quoted above, you and I both well know that if someone gets a good blueprint (regardless if they are RPing a blacksmith or not) its very unlikely they will sell, or let that blueprint go... at all. So Keronor's point about moving from one RNG system to another is completely valid and accurate. This is the primary reason we swapped to the upgrade station to begin with, before we had only the most dedicated who were able to jump on birds and hunt the drops. In fact we noticed a significant lack of actual roleplay at those drops. Because it is simply more efficient to hop drop to drop as fast as you can. Drops in their entirety were ruled to be harmful to RP due to what was happening with them. We had entire tribes dedicated only to drop hunting and that isnt what we are looking for.

So while I understand your point about the upgrade station and that only the dedicated will grind their gear to a certain level..... the same is absolutely true for the drops. The difference here and the main reason why we chose the lesser of two evils is because the upgrade station is not a beacon that can only be collected by a single person every ~ 10 minutes. It makes the playing field truly level to the point that if you wanted the same gear as your friend, you could achieve that without taking TOO much time out of roleplay.

Like Basoon said, the reduction in upgrade level would also sustain this fairness whilst reducing the damage people are able to obtain... in theory anyway.

Best,

~ Poseidon

True, I feel blueprints have worked much better in my personal opinion on past iterations. Much more bulk trade, RP and blueprints being a very desirable item for the less friendly "traders". Don't know if it would work when and if classes are introduced, but now with the new crafting skill I bet that it gives a whole new perspective on things. When thinking of ways to improve RP and time consumed grinding, I think removing the upgrade table would greatly benefit the community.

Regards,

Koge

It seems both sides have their cons in terms of fairness and reliability. Those with little time will always get the short end of the stick when it comes to gear progression, and that is to be expected, not desperately accounted for.

The way I see it is that the RNG loot-box table system from drops is the best way to go, seeing as that even a person with little time could potentially score amazing blueprints that even those with plenty of time couldn't get because of RNG (Or vice-versa, its RNG yo). On the other hand with the upgrade table system, those with more time will easily surpass those who don't because upgrades are too reliable and convenient.

Maybe that's how it is suppose to work and we are too greedy to see it, regardless we should be making an effort for progression to be fair for everyone, not achievable. I cant think of any better way to do that then to give those with too much time, the same odds per-drop as those with too little time through the power of RNG.

Lastly, I feel that the new crafting stat would be much better suited to RNG loot-boxes since you get blueprints from drops.

[align=center]Ya'll need RNGesus[/align]

[align=center]qXMcNug.png[/align]

[align=center]I also like Basoon's idea.[/align]

Sure, that is an option, but this completely negates the roleplay of your character having a particular profession (aside from everyone becoming merchants). I guess what I am saying is that this will slowly kill diversity because, following the vanilla system, there is no point to me developing a backstory in my character's profession, because now I can just roleplay obtaining the schematics for any item, and use that as an explanation to build anything of any quality.

That said, it almost sounds like, as a part of character creation, a character should have a declared profession (for which they can specialize and create better blueprints). This would encourage RP by forcing the gatherers to seek out the closest saddlers, or seek out the best cooks for the berries they collect, or the best smiths to make new tools. This would, in turn, create natural tribes where the players really do NEED each other. While this would not stop grinding (which really cannot be stopped in a survival game, anyway), this would force more roleplay to make the grind worthwhile.

The obvious objection I see to this would be that it would require some amount of regulation. I am not sure how that would be accomplished, but spit-balling some ideas would be that the first masters of a trade be admins (who, I think, would be more than qualified as trustworthy with limiting themselves). Another option might be a required character page on the forums, privately stating your character's skills to the admins (that way it is on record and comparable to your in game profession).

Again, these are not fleshed-out ideas, just spit-balls. Also, Tea... *Spit balls Tea* You fumble your persuasion. You convince everyone I am awesome.

Sure, that is an option, but this completely negates the roleplay of your character having a particular profession (aside from everyone becoming merchants). I guess what I am saying is that this will slowly kill diversity because, following the vanilla system, there is no point to me developing a backstory in my character's profession, because now I can just roleplay obtaining the schematics for any item, and use that as an explanation to build anything of any quality.

Sure, but what if you had the upgrade station and people who don't have a background in smithing are actively making better equipment and armour than you? The same thing is happening, just in a different way.

I believe Blueprints avoid this if you RP-out that the BP's are like lego instruction manuals, just putting the pieces together as instructed. If there was a way to have people who have a background in smithing or are infusion-trained be the ones to write these Blueprints, I think that would play really well into your roleplay. In the OP I spoke a tiny bit more about that.

Essentially whatever the case, faith in the roleplay of others is needed for it to work.

Sure, but what if you had the upgrade station and people who don't have a background in smithing are actively making better equipment and armour than you? The same thing is happening, just in a different way.

I believe Blueprints avoid this if you RP-out that the BP's are like lego instruction manuals, just putting the pieces together as instructed. If there was a way to have people who have a background in smithing or are infusion-trained be the ones to write these Blueprints, I think that would play really well into your roleplay. In the OP I spoke a tiny bit more about that.

Essentially whatever the case, faith in the roleplay of others is needed for it to work.

I agree on the faith point. If people are master chefs but are making Ascendant armor, I agree that that is a problem. There needs to be a level of trust between players on any cooperative project. Again, the only way to stop that is to regulate it.

Food for thought, what if we entirely ditched upgrades. If i'm not mistaken don't you get something like a 33% increase if you were to go entirely into crafting skill. To me that seems like the best way to give purpose to the Blacksmiths, chefs etc. Of course this is purely theoretical. Just an idea as there is the worry of faith. Would be interested on how popular/unpopular this idea would be

I just want to add that if we are talking about the time it takes to get good blueprints and that its to mutch what about getting good dinos whit breeding?

We have made the top items availibel for everyone no mather how mutch time they have shouldent we do the same whit dinos AKA

Have the same breed timer as tames or count how long it takes to get a top tier item and put the growth timer as that?

Because why is it okey for one thing to take time and not the other one? Dinos plays/could play just as big part in PVP as items.

So i want to know why is it okey to be forced to spend HOURS AND HOURS to get a top dino while spending hours to grind drops is a bad thing? And dont come and say that breeding gives you time to RP. I have seen pepol almost get burnt out to bread dinos whit setting alarm clocks when they sleep or just watch movie after movie beacuse they dont dare to leave the babys.

Why is item hunting hours bad and just AFK/watning for a baby hours good? Please explaine

And one more thing if you breed four quetz and mabey 3 other dinos the baby stage take more hours then getting a few good BP from underwater drops ect. 

So again the BABY stage onely takes more time from RP then drop hunting does in a season. 

Any to be frank some of us love drop hunting beacuse of we find it fun. Other likes to breed why is our fun not as importent as the breeders that waste more time?

Why is item hunting hours bad and just AFK/watning for a baby hours good? Please explaine

This isn't really relevant to the thread, but the explanation is this: There is 0% risk with breeding. Everything about breeding can be mitigated. Taking two parents, I will know what the worst case scenario will be for a successful birth - one offspring with the lowest stats, no imprinting. From that, I can make a judgement call as to whether I should invest time and get results with 100% accuracy. In other words, what you put into the breeding is what you get out.

With beacon looting, this is not the case. Each beacon has completely randomized loot, ranging from top-tier weapons and armor to upgraded... Foundations? (Why, ARK? WHY!?) The point is that I could spend days hunting beacons and not have a clue as to what I will get. I am sure you have spent your fair share of time searching the map only to be disappointed with slingshot blueprints.

Additionally, breeding offers a space to roleplay. As was stated earlier, beacon hopping is not roleplay inducing. In point of fact, it is Survival Gameplay inducing. Most (though, I would dare day all) players would rather beacon hop for blueprints for hours when no one else is around to avoid conflict.

Breeding does not incur this issue. Breeding can be done cooperatively and does not by necessity create a paranoid environment.

As far as taming is concerned, I would again contend that you know the stats of the animal once you knock it out, and you have the ability to make a judgement call with 100% accuracy.

My thoughts on the gear is a lot of us are very concerned about what "others" will do within their rp. We seem concerned about people abusing something or being able to do something their character shouldn't.  Without complete knowledge of each others RP, reasoning, or backstories we can't assume we know best for other's characters.

Perhaps we all need to focus more on our own personal rp and motivations?

I like the upgrade station simply because its much easier to get a weapon or armor upgraded easily and get back to rp instead of many hours rushing drop to drop in the hope of getting something good. It also makes the gear crafting, for many, part of their rp. where the drops are all chance and "first come first serve."

I'd like the ability for people playing actual blacksmiths and such to be able to get blueprints from say the traders tribe for an item they have crafted.

I also think nerfing the level achievable by the station lower or the chance for higher gear much lower....

Lots of ideas could come from the ability to get blueprints. :)

Save

I would say it very relevant to the thread since it shows that everyone accept other things that isnet RP creating but not this one.

You are saying "Everything about breeding can be mitigated. " That is just not true.

First of

1. The baby time someone still need to spend hours and hours just sitting and keep feeding a baby if you do it togehter or not dosent really mather since "someone" has to just stand for hours on end. and btw you can drop hunt toghether as well to make it go quicker so i dont see the diffrance.

2. Yes you can make a judgment call about if you want to keep a baby or not that dosent take alot of time. But when you decide to keep a animal you will have to spend hours on end during the baby stage and lets say you get a really good one you are not going to be leaving it side before it can eat by it self.

I would say drop hunting gives more space for RP then just baby stage wating any day of the week beacuse you can always ALWAYS stop what you are doing to land and rp whit someone or go when someone calls you on the radio ect. Witch you cant when you have a new born baby.

The random loot is what make drophunting fun. Its the exictment of never knowing what you will get. And when you get it the exictment of getting something good thats what drop hunting is all about. Its getting bad things over and over again just to get that gold nugget and get exicted.

And btw you say thier is 0 risk whit breeding i dont understand that at all? What risk are you talking about? What risk is it whit drop hunting?

And one more question and this is for staff: Correct me if i was wrong but dident you cap and then remove drops due to the unbalance in gear for players? Wasent that the main reason instedd of saying that they dont creat RP?

Could you please link the post wher you say that drops gets removed beacuase they are bad for RP. And i want to know will you be removing breeding since its just as bad for RP as drops if not even worse since it takes more time it locks a player in to thier base for hours on end

I'd like the ability for people playing actual blacksmiths and such to be able to get blueprints from say the traders tribe for an item they have crafted.

FYI, that is abusable. Make a blueprint at trader, get 1100 crafting skill, make a better item and return to the trader for an even better blueprint, endlessly. Itnis a known issue with the blueprint table of that same mod. 

Regards,

Koge

I'm awful at communicating points across the forums because I come across as overly aggressive so please give me a bit of slack and know I love everyone here but:

I've been watching this thread for a bit and I've noticed one issue. I feel like everyone is thinking of the upgrade station as a way to cheat the system to get good loot. I personally think if we put a maximum on the sort of upgrade one could get, then it would balance quite a bit. I personally think we should set the maximum damage % to be 180%, just like the center season and the maximum armor to 250, just like the center season. Now, this would not make everyone able to get this gear. How not? Well, logistically, you are merely scaling down the numbers. Instead of 300's being common, 450's being rare, and 550+ being legendary, you will have 130, 150, and 170 respectively. Basically, you have the same chance to get something like 150 as you do a 450 currently (didn't do any math, am just speculating).

So in essence, instead of saying:

• Ramshackle = 180%
  • Apprentice = 270%
  • Journeyman = 350%
  • Mastercraft = 400%+

You get something like this:

• Ramshackle = 115%
  • Apprentice = 130%
  • Journeyman = 140%
  • Mastercraft = 160%+

It would take the SAME amount of grinding to get that 160% rifle as it does to get that 400%... Essentially, this allows for the same amount of grind as it does, just for lower weapon damages. Now going to all the RP points that I have an issue with. Long story short, I think people are focusing too much on the negative. I think you get MORE RP out of this method than the drop method because you have an extra step in here. If you had the drop method, it comes down to luck and the tribes who play the most and who drop hunt most often (not too RP conductive though definitely possible to RP while doing). This method allows EVERYONE to have the same amount of chance to get the good stuff instead of just those players who have memorized the drop patterns.

Think of it this way. With the table method, it's fair game for all AND if we go ahead with the blueprint trade in at the traders like I so hope they do, this will make BP's just as valuable as if they came from drops... You can't really say it won't because I can guarantee you will try and justify it with "Well anyone can get the item to trade in for the BP" and while this is true, it's also unrealistic. Look to the above table I laid out and take this quick example. In game right now, I know of ONE mastercraft rifle above 590% damage.. mine. Now.. if I were to make this into a BP because my character is technically a blacksmith, would this not stimulate RP just as it did with drops? The "bad guy" tribes would target me, especially if they knew about the BP being as good as it is, to get the item, right?

I really don't see how it's less favorable than the drops. Okay, fine. You enjoy drop hunting. I get that and I really sympathize, but I also REALLY enjoyed trailmix to fly my 600% movement speed quetz along with across the island in 45 sec... It was my RP that I flew that quetz everywhere and I enjoyed it. I know, I might be sounding a bit ignorant here. Sorry. But you see my point. You can't always have the kind of RP you want. You have to make due with what you are given because if not, you are merely complaining for the sake of complaining.

TL;DR: I think the method of "upgrade station -> traders -> BP -> trade" is the best route.

Also, @"Kogetsoo", that method is pretty easily countered if you think of it this way. The staff only need keep track of the item %'s and values. Everytime they break down an item, write it down somewhere or in a google doc and that way, when they see the SAME blacksmith or someone else trying to get a BP of that item that's 33% better (which if im not mistaken is the max you can get bonus), they can call them out on that. And yes, I know it's more work, but if I were allowed, I would keep track of all that info, so... staff? <3 ;) --- Also... don't item's made from BP's now say "made by:"? Idk... There are a few ways to safeguard this exploit i'm sure.

Anyways, I think this method (if balanced to 180% max damage and 250 armor) is definitely more RP inducing overall and can be balanced fairly easily so that it is SIMILAR to the atmosphere set in the center season. The only difference would be HOW you came across the BP's. Instead of being lucky at drops (now even easier to get good loot cuz of the liopleurodon), you have to be blessed by RNGesus. 

*This information is made with the best of my knowledge and is highly opinion based. Please be nice and I'll be nice in return. I don't bite hard. I promise.*

P.S.: If anyone is confused by my logic (since I'm awful at text based explanations) please feel free to message me on discord or in the TS. I would love to chat about it more if you wish ^.^

Still the point I am making is being ignored. So i will ask it in a queation. You say it's unfair if everyone can't get the best items because it takes time and you need luck whit the RNG.

Why is it not just as unfair for the player that doesn't have time to breed animals and can't get the a top lime animal fully imprinted?

I mean anyone can get a basic item right just like anyone can get a basic animal. But when it comes to top lime items and animal it should both be made available for everyone or both of them should be available for thoes who put time in to it.

Now we have only top items for everyone and good top line animals for a few. What makes that more fair then top line items only for thoes who work for it as well?

Still the point I am making is being ignored. So i will ask it in a queation. You say it's unfair if everyone can't get the best items because it takes time and you need luck whit the RNG.

Why is it not just as unfair for the player that doesn't have time to breed animals and can't get the a top lime animal fully imprinted?

I mean anyone can get a basic item right just like anyone can get a basic animal. But when it comes to top lime items and animal it should both be made available for everyone or both of them should be available for thoes who put time in to it.

This question has been answered, you just didn't like the answer. :D

If I breed two Rexs, I may get the worst possible Rex ever, but I am still guaranteed and new Rex. That's not the case with beacon drops. I could go days - avoiding roleplay, mind you - hunting down beacons with no success in finding the blueprint I am seeking (which may very well be a blueprint not on the market).

Additionally, breeding and taming do not breed a culture of roleplay avoidance. That is to say, while people MIGHT avoid roleplay during these occassions, they don't feel obligated too in the same way that people would if they are hunting down beacon drops.

Now we have only top items for everyone and good top line animals for a few. What makes that more fair then top line items only for thoes who work for it as well?

With respect, I have a problem with this. If we take two players, one might search around for an hour and get the blueprint he wants while a second player might take days or weeks to get an equivalent item. How is that fairness incarnate? Here is the reality with Beacon Drop Hunting:

1) It punishes players for playing during common hours (times of peak population).

2) It is COMPLETELY at the whims of RNGesus. Therefore, it cannot be used to accurately reflect the skill of a trained artisan (meaning that characters who roleplay as artisans should have ready access to their trade, and not have to play treasure hunt before they can accurately roleplay their character).

3) It de-prioritizes roleplay.

I agree with Chainpulled, a lot of this is worrying about the RP of other people. Which, don't get me wrong, it is important to know what you're getting into but if you focus on your own good RP and find others with a similar style a particular method of play tends to spread. As long as you practice what you preach, more often than not, the results are fabulous.

My personal opinion is that I don't see the point of random people grinding up to get the best gear or multiple sets of it because, eventually, it trickles out and everybody gets these sets in time. I.e. could save a lot of trouble if everybody was at base armor with base weapons. HOWEVER, this discussion is taking into account PvP more than against the wild and especially caves so it's a trickier balance than we might think.

Do we want to penalize people who don't PvP but solo through the wilds or go cave or ocean diving? Trying to strike fairness between players has to also work with fairness between player and the world. Granted, this is mostly in the case of 'set everything to base', which is still a valid option in my opinion. I would love more risk in playing the game...not that the upped alphas won't do that for us at the start of next Volume xD

But again, you can worry about people RPing or not at drops or you can worry about them RPing or not with babies and it's going to happen how the person wants one way or the other. Everyone has their own way of doing things and, for better or worse, this server is open to any style so long as it abides by rules.

My suggestion would be to bring back drops and blueprints because, as Malickay said, it DOES get people out in the world. Yes, you can argue that going out for supplies does the same, but that's within a set area and, honestly, how often do you bother a player who's clearly focused on mining? I rarely do, but perhaps that's just me.

I wouldn't say just bring them back and leave it at that, I would say bring it back and make the area around a drop an open PvP zone. Make it risky, make it fun. Not only will it get hearts pounding a bit more when you go for them, but it'll create a hell of a lot of conflict. Just get curious about a green drop and someone decides to tranq you? Yeah, I'd be pretty damn pissed as a character and would be ready to find them.

As for the upgrade tables themselves, I don't see them as one hundred percent terrible, as I said, in many cases, you do need good armor and if you're going to face the world of ARK. I do think there are too many though, if it was just a bit more difficult to use them I think there would be less upgrading, could urge people to drops (if they're brought back) and build a bit more RP.

If the Traders, or something like them, are around next Volume perhaps they could rent them out. A person would have to travel to get them, negotiate, and then set up their workstation for the time they have it and get to work before returning it. Yes, more complicated, but that's the point. A person would be weighing whether or not they want to take the time to do that, vs. RP a sale with someone who already has the gear vs. go drop hunting. It would also mean they couldn't constantly grind as well and would keep them out in the world RPing more. But, AGAIN, that's restricting a person's play style...which, again, I'm all for restrictions, but that's a personal choice over server style. Finally, this, of course, causes trouble for blacksmiths and a general flow of supplies if the blueprints aren't also a part of the equation.

But that's my two cents.

TL;DR Drops would be wonderful and fun, should be made into a danger zone to rise up island tensions between people. The upgrade table is useful but so widespread that it makes little sense for many people to use it based on characters and tempts people to grind. BUT it is extremely useful and also an important part of survival in many cases. Finally, fishing drops need to come back because damn fishing is fun and I want to make a fishing hole guys!