Poseidon

Server Fixes

Hello everyone,

As you all know we have been trying fixes for the ping over the last week and it doesn't seem like any of our fixes have helped at all. 

Here are all the things we have tried to date:

- We removed the secondary server, and shut it down therefore reducing load drastically on the dedicated itself and bringing the running costs down to 20% of ram and 5% of our CPU power, therefore negating the server side impact possibility. 

- We contacted the data center hosting our dedicated box and had them move us over to a different box entirely. 

- We have implemented tons of different INI and config file fixes that other servers/devs have used on their end to fix server side lag issues. 

As you probably know the cause of this lag could be a multitude of things and our efforts have not been in vain. We will keep attempting solution fixes until we find one that works best for all of us!

Unfortunately the time comes where we have excluded a ton of different possibilities and now we need to start testing the removal of mods and their impact on server performance. 

Before taking this step, I have gone around to as many server owners on dedicated boxes that I know and have done research into their server performance VS their server set up to extrapolate possible causes for lag and cross reference it with our server, out of this research here are the following mods that I believe are MOST LIKELY causing ping issues. Now please remember this is only true if the cause is mods, we will continue to keep changing other settings to effort to improve lag whether we remove any mods or not. 

Here is the list:

- Structures Plus

- Ark Postal Service

- Death Helper

- Versatile Rafts

- Bounty Hunter

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Now the list is short but they all have a large impact, everyone on the server uses structures + to build, we understand that, so for that reason we will not be removing structures + first, rather we will be removing less important mods such as Death Helper and Ark Postal Service first to see if there is any ping improvement. 

Through this thread you will be able to keep track on our progress on whether or not these mods will be removed one by one. Please be aware if we DO remove a mod we will be providing compensation (for structures +) to accommodate everyone's buildings, but like I said structures + is very central to everyone and we will be removing it as a last resort only. 

Thanks for your understanding and support while we work our hardest to fix these issues and get you guys playing at awesome ping :)

Best,

~ Poseidon

I actually have to point out my thoughts on this, as I've seen a number of other servers run with the same mods as the ones on this list to and all in unison. After looking at the mod list and poking around, I suspect it'd more likely be one of the following.

-Capitalism

-Bounty Hunter

-Versatile Rafts

However, I don't believe it to be the direct cause, but rather the interaction between one of these mods and another mod. I've found in the past on other servers that could be one of the bigger causes of lag--Unless it's Versatile Rafts, then it's just people making too big and too many of boats.

--Structures Plus in of itself is a very stable mod from what I've experienced on other servers; well written and well coded. I am doubtful there is any memory leaks coming from it.

One thing i think might add to this problem is all the decore mods as well. We crack down on size on the buldings but today when someone has a decent house whit alot of decore in it. The number if items thats need to load is the same as for a giant building.

Have you looked in to the nummber of extra items that needs to be loaded due to the decore mods? Just think how extra items 1 house fully decorated has.

I actually have to point out my thoughts on this, as I've seen a number of other servers run with the same mods as the ones on this list to and all in unison. After looking at the mod list and poking around, I suspect it'd more likely be one of the following.

-Capitalism

-Bounty Hunter

-Versatile Rafts

However, I don't believe it to be the direct cause, but rather the interaction between one of these mods and another mod. I've found in the past on other servers that could be one of the bigger causes of lag--Unless it's Versatile Rafts, then it's just people making too big and too many of boats.

--Structures Plus in of itself is a very stable mod from what I've experienced on other servers; well written and well coded. I am doubtful there is any memory leaks coming from it.

I apologize Bounty hunter and Versatile Rafts was supposed to be on there.

Capitalism has been vetted by the ark devs themselves (if that holds any weight lol) they were interested in implementing it into their own official servers for a while, however decided that was too RP focused for their PvPers. Having said that however I am not going to throw it out completely, I will take a look at capitalism once again.

On your comments on Structures Plus, I disagree, there have been many servers whom have ditched the mod because of map issues or what they attribute to the mod and I quote "Intense frame lag"

Thanks for your feedback!

Best,

~ Poseidon

This may be a silly remark, but I thought I might point it out. First off I agree with the statements that structures plus have shown to be very stable on all the other servers I have played.

Second of all, and this is pure speculation, during the two weeks I played some on the aeternia server everything ran smooth EXCEPT for my engram page. Each time I opened the engram page my computer would bog down so bad that it would either crash the game or lag so bad that my cursor would barely move. I found that if i narrowed the search field by typing something in the search bar it would immediately dissapear.

So my silly remark would be that possibly whichever mod that is in game right now that adds a lot of engram options next to structures plus (but was also on the aeternia server) might be the culprit. I say this because I get the same lag when opening the engram page on the new server but it is not as drastic (in the sense that it still lags me out ALOT but not to the point of crashing).

Thirdly, I have noticed significant improvement in the ping recently. It has gone from being able to solo kill lvl 100 rexes with my fists (do to latency) to proper functioning of dinos and very minimum rubber banding. I still see a little rubber banding on wild dinos but it is most definitely better. You all have been doing a wonderful job and I appreciate all the work to help everyone. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

This may be a silly remark, but I thought I might point it out. First off I agree with the statements that structures plus have shown to be very stable on all the other servers I have played.

Second of all, and this is pure speculation, during the two weeks I played some on the aeternia server everything ran smooth EXCEPT for my engram page. Each time I opened the engram page my computer would bog down so bad that it would either crash the game or lag so bad that my cursor would barely move.  I found that if i narrowed the search field by typing something in the search bar it would immediately dissapear.  

So my silly remark would be that possibly whichever mod that is in game right now that adds a lot of engram options next to structures plus (but was also on the aeternia server) might be the culprit.  I say this because I get the same lag when opening the engram page on the new server but it is not as drastic (in the sense that it still lags me out ALOT but not to the point of crashing).  

Thirdly, I have noticed significant improvement in the ping recently.  It has gone from being able to solo kill lvl 100 rexes with my fists (do to latency) to proper functioning of dinos and very minimum rubber banding.  I still see a little rubber banding on wild dinos but it is most definitely better.  You all have been doing a wonderful job and I appreciate all the work to help everyone.  Keep up the good work!

The two biggest contributers to engram things are problably s+ and keep things (medieval mod?).

However, once you start actually picking up a lot of engrams, the fps lag you suffer from that goes down. And that's what it is, fps lag, I find it hard to think that that would be causing the ping lag we have from time to time, especially later in the evenings (server time).

Hey guys,

So after some deliberation we have decided to delay taking a mod off the server and implement a small fix for right now.

We are asking EVERYONE to destroy (not take down, not shut off) destroy their S+ torches. We have reasons to believe that they are connected to at least some of the servers lag. We are doing this, because this is the absolutely least intrusive way to test S+ without having to take your structures down.

Having said that, the decision has also been made to remove the bounty hunter mod, as 1. No one that I have spoken to is really using it, and 2. Because it does have a database that it connects to to share bounty information across servers. So please expect an update on when exactly that will be removed (just in case you do have a bounty up, you will need to cancel it to not loose your coin).

Thanks for your patience while we continue to roll out updates about this!

Best,

~ Poseidon

I have a couple dozen torches I will take down tonight, it will be a while before I can get on

Do we have permission to destroy S+ Standing torches if they don't belong to us?

@"Ordrak"

Yes, as of this moment you are free to destroy and S+ torches you see, please remember that this will cause DINO aggro and you are still responsible to not 1. Kill anyone's dino in removing a torch and 2. Not leading it away from the area as to lose it.

So just keep that all in mind when removing S+ torches that dont belong to you!

Best,

~ Poseidon

The Un'Pek have smashed all their new torches, so as to not attract the smelly Shaggymen who prowl the Redwood at night.

Also today things have seemed to run much smoother on my end, no major stalls or jitters. Whatever, you've done thus far seems to be working for me at least. Thank you, all.

Ape

Hey guys,

Since the bounty hunter mod has been identified as a possible cause for a ton of the lag, we will be removing the bounty hunter mod at this restart!

As far as I know based on the map no one was actually using this mod however if you were please let me know via PM

Best,

~ Poseidon

Since the Removal of the Bounty Hunter mod there has been a lot better ping. I have notice when boats move there is high ping but I can live with that.

On your comments on Structures Plus, I disagree, there have been many servers whom have ditched the mod because of map issues or what they attribute to the mod and I quote "Intense frame lag"

I agree with Poseidon. I play at *No mentioning other Ark Servers (user has been warned for this action)* and they aren't using s+ anymore since it's just too big, and it has a lot of loading issues (although I cannot confirm that since my low memory computer doesn't help much).

About the rafts it seems like there is a problem with the galleons.

Hey guys,

It has been a couple of days since my last update. We have been monitoring the changes since the removal of the bounty hunter mod and we wanted to get accurate data before moving on to the next possible fix.

Here is some updates on our ping since our fixes:

- Bounty hunter mod: Removal did not significantly change ping, there were some moments where the idea was conceived that it was helping ping of the server out but that was not the case, I spoke with the mod developer and they have assured me that the mod does not make SQL calls if there are no active bounties, and even more so if there are no boards to display the bounties, at the time of removal I have no evidence to suggest that any bounty boards were actually built and put up in the server. Having said that since it was not providing any additional fun or roleplay at this point to the sever, it will remain off the books so to speak.

- Structures + torches: We have seen drastic increases in normal ping at night, this leads us to believe that structures + have some sort of connection to the lag in some way shape or form. Having said that, I STILL to this very day see structures + torches up around the island and its frustrating because we cannot accurately see results on server performance without having them all destroyed, we are taking further measures to sending admins out to remove your torches if they are still standing, our priority is the server and making sure its sustainable for our playerbase, I apologize if you enjoy these torches, but at least for now we need to remove ALL S+ lighting from the map.

- Versatile Rafts: Over the past few days we have been observing some of you that have large(er) boats on the server and we have accurate evidence that when a large boat is moving the server ping jumps all the way to 255, my team have collected video evidence of this, and as such we are going down the path of figuring out what exactly of the following two causes is the cause of the ping:

1. The boats we have observed have S+ structures on them, therefore is the lag caused by the large amount of S+ structures moving? Or

2. Is the lag being caused by ANY large amount of structures moving?

So whats next?

We are preforming a few more tests, however in the next day or two we will be making to decision whether or not versatile rafts will need to be removed to test server performance. I apologize to anyone who has a boat if we need to do this. Once again I repeat, IF WE ARE REMOVING VERSATILE RAFTS YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED WHEN AND IF THE DECISION IS MADE! As of right now, we have not made any concrete decision to remove the mod, this is just an update that we are continuing tests.

Best,

~ Poseidon

I will start keeping my eyes open for any as well. Our base is clean (Tym Tam took care of that) but I'll keep my eyes out when I'm roaming.

Guest Leria Darkheart

I still say its the raft mod, every huge ship with multiple parts = lag

I still say its the raft mod, every huge ship with multiple parts = lag

I feel like a robot by now to repeat that. :P

Yes. Platforms, rafts.. they have a structure limit for a reason. Going beyond that and adding the factor "mods" in there and you're playing with fire. 

I agree Leria, I've said it back on the Center and I say it now: Raft and platform mods would be the first to go in my book. I'm glad that is imminent at last 

Regards,

Koge

It would be nice to keep the faster rafts though, can you limit away the larger ones like the battleship but still allow the speedboat and speed hunter? That could both help lag as well as allow those awesome fast rafts to still be usable.

It would be nice to keep the faster rafts though, can you limit away the larger ones like the battleship but still allow the speedboat and speed hunter? That could both help lag as well as allow those awesome fast rafts to still be usable.

i tend to agree, perhaps you can just disable the ridiculously large ships? leave just the speed hunters and speed boats and vanilla plus?

I know im new and don't have a whole lot of clout or anything but i definitely am a huge proponent of rafts and i know there are a lot of people that really like the sea-farer rp as well idk just my two cents

Four days later and not much improvement on my end... I am sure you guys are working very hard but when a player loses a lvl 255 giga to a level 35 because lag renders yours useless what point is there to play if all player ridden animals will just die to their weaker counterparts? I hope this shit gets figured out soon as I personally am finding it less and less enticing to play as the days roll by.