Sign in to follow this  
Mezri

Character creation guide

Play to your strengths

Creativity is the only limitation to the range of character you can play. It should also be obvious that you can't change yourself as the player. Nothing will stop you from making the choice to play a character you don't have the skills for; but you will have a hard time with it in game.

I recommend not making a character in possession of skills you don't have. My characters have thought other characters to be liars because of a poor research.

Straying true to your character

This is the most important part of role-play! You can't do that if you don't know our character, so get to know them. A great way to do this is to research their time/region and write about it. The best way to know if your actions are in character is to rely on their motivations.

Creating a strong (believable [researched]) character

In my opinion, letting in game role-play create your character is best. Letting the role-play build your character is also a great way to find out what you're good at on this particular game. And playing to your strengths will make it crazy easy to stay true to your character.

Your back story should not be the best thing about your character, your role-play should. Making a back story that will forever overshadow your character can be quite detrimental.

Time matters

Making an informed decision on your character's time is critical. Hopefully with this information and additional research, you'll know what to expect from the time you choose. A little research goes a long way. A rounder, and deeper character will be more enjoyable to play for yourself and to play with for others. So if you do a little research and take a little time, you'll find it to be well worth your effort!

Ancient and primitive characters will have a lot of advantages over modern characters. A couple examples would be their adaptability and patience. Modern life is always in a hurry, but ancient times wasn't. Life has changed pace a great deal. A great way to see this in modern times is to compare a small town to a big one.

A lot of primitive characters would not be scared of a huge beast; they may even see it as an exciting challenge. Since brutality was common in ancient times they would most commonly not be too shocked by executions and battles. Gruesome and early death was a part of ancient life. In ancient times, an execution was entertaining. Brutality was normality.

A huge disadvantage to playing an ancient character would be their confusion to modern characters. It's easy to understand that an ancient character can see a modern one as cowardly and bizarre as they have no reference for their behaviour and terminology. Ancient and primitive characters are a lot harder to play well for reasons such as these.

Modern characters will be harder to play at first but can be more rewarding. As an example; imagine you the player woke up here. You would be very surprised how hard it is to even start a fire without matches or a lighter. A modern character's awakening would be FAR more traumatic than a primitive one. The adjustment would be extraordinary. As would the environment.

You can't un-learn the rules of civilised society and a lot of modern characters would expect people to conform to them (ancient characters included). Modern characters might be sympathetic to ancient characters though, since they might have researched history to understand how brutal of a time they came from.

Modern character will be easier to play well because we the players have far more information about modern times. And it's obviously more real if you've lived it. Additionally of course there are choices between ancient and modern times, too. Times like the 1800s are comparable to both ancient and modern times in many ways.

Characters born here will have no reference for life outside the snow globe. If you choose to play such a character just remember that billions of people living on a ball that's mostly water will sound like utter insanity. It is a very unique type of character and it should be remembered that they have no way of understanding life beyond the snow globe at all times.

Back story help list

If you're struggling to find things to write about, try picking from this list of questions.

Where did they live?

What did they do?

What did they know?

What was their hobby?

What's their strengths?

What's their weaknesses?

What's their greatest fear?

What haunts them?

How do they describe them self?

What do they believe in?

What makes them laugh?

What makes them cry?

How can you cheer them up?

What gets them angry?

How do they act when angry?

How can you calm them down?

What do they look like? (height, posture, hair colour, eye colour)

What clothes did they wear?

Back story help

If you need help with a back story, I am happy to read over anything under 500 words. Just say you would like some help and post it here if you're interested. I won't respond to PMs unfortunately as I would like to show people the before and after so they know what I offer. Please don't feel worried about your work. There is no "bad" back story there is only unpolished and unreserached ones.

If you want me to write you a back story, I am very happy to so that also. Since having a back story helps you understand your character a lot better. Even if it wasn't you who wrote it. I will be honest if it something I will struggle or not be able to write for you though, but please do ask here on the thread if you want help. Because if I can help, someone else might be able to.

As usual, this is opinion based. If you don't benefit from this guide, then it's obviously not written for people in your position. ;) If you do benefit from it, then my effort is all worth it. I hope you got what you needed from this guide. If you need more information or have suggestions/comments, please do post. I dedicated my time to make this guide to benefit others and if I can help more, that is even better.

I need some backstory help. The backstory i wrote feels lackluster and am worried about getting blacklisted if they reject me this second time.

My current backstory: I am Saitama and I have trained for several years up to the point where my hair fell off my head. I come from the Islands of Z and I am easy-going and I try sit back and relax. I am very humble and carefree. I like to pick up on bargains and sales because I am.... uh.... broke... The key to my strength is training! If you train hard enough you should be able to do it! I do something because I want to! Not to be recognized or anything. I look to live a peaceful life in Aeternia. If any crime comes to me they will probably be filled with regret because they are weaker than I am. I am just a hero for my hobby. I will hunt people down using some highly advanced technology that these old people taught me. Though I cant say anything about the technology level of the Z Islands, all I can say is that its cool. I am currently 25 and I am bald because of my intense training. (179 words! Under 500)

I need some backstory help. The backstory i wrote feels lackluster and am worried about getting blacklisted if they reject me this second time.

My current backstory: I am Saitama and I have trained for several years up to the point where my hair fell off my head. I come from the Islands of Z and I am easy-going and I try sit back and relax. I am very humble and carefree. I like to pick up on bargains and sales because I am.... uh.... broke... The key to my strength is training! If you train hard enough you should be able to do it! I do something because I want to! Not to be recognized or anything. I look to live a peaceful life in Aeternia. If any crime comes to me they will probably be filled with regret because they are weaker than I am. I am just a hero for my hobby. I will hunt people down using some highly advanced technology that these old people taught me. Though I cant say anything about the technology level of the Z Islands, all I can say is that its cool. I am currently 25 and I am bald because of my intense training. (179 words! Under 500)

I think you've outlined a very interesting character, but Saitama lacks a story. Try to go more in-depth about this Island of Z and how your character has lived on it and has been changed by it. Also why is being a "hero" his hobby? Did something inspire him to do good? And who gave Saitama this technology and why (Also note that technology cannot be more advanced then what is found on Aeternia!)?

EDIT - Wow I need to get out more. Felix covered it pretty well, you can't roleplay as real life or existing fictional characters like One Punch Man, even if you change the name. Your character should be an original creation.

Uhh.. You pretty much copied the backstory of Saitama from One Punch Man. That could be the reason you're getting denied. :P

http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Saitama

Uhh.. You pretty much copied the backstory of Saitama from One Punch Man.  That could be the reason you're getting denied. :P

http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Saitama

Oh... shit... Thought it was only famous people... Welp time to create a new backstory... Thanks!

You cannot use the backstory from a famous person or character. This would include the aforementioned character (Although I'm not familiar with it personally.)

For example, you can't be Batman... It would be very strange to have a batman running around. You could play as a Vigilante type character that dresses all in black and never shows his face. But calling yourself "Batman" Or having a butler named Alfred. Or having a backstory that is extremely similar to Batman wouldn't be allowed.

If you need any help with your backstory, or want to check and make sure that it follows the Lore rules set on the server, or just want some assistance. Feel free to send me a PM (Or another Loremaster) with your Characters story and we can check it over.

Hope this helped!

Cheers :D