Tamaster

Current Server Issues Poll

what to do?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. what to do?

• Fix current server state
    • Move to vanilla or the center

Ok basic decision time:

First of all let me explain what is missing here. Tomorrow we will put up a thread detailing everything which should hopefully answer many questions but until then please remain calm. A lot of stuff we have been working on behind the scenes is being finished and will be part of this including new rules, new methods of contact and with staff and more. A LOT of stuff to help.

Anyway after reading and reading and seeing the poll and a LOT of tough thinking (my head hurts) I have decided the following:

We will not be moving maps.

We will not be wiping.

Now that is not to say there won't be changes - there will be, big ones. But at its core we will stay on Valhalla for now and we will not wipe everyones dinos and bases. We still plan to swap back to vanilla once the game is finished but that is months away yet.

The main reasoning behind this choice is very complicated but heres a easy to digest list of some of it.

- Poll, 50% wanted to stay

- We promised that we wouldn't wipe again anytime soon and we would do everything in our power to stop it

- Peoples posts here showing us that quite a few enjoyed having more room to breath, or having stories which need to be able to continue.

- Upcoming changes which will help massively not yet taking effect and skewing views.

+ a lot of other little reasons of course.

But yeah, theres your basic outcome, hope people are somewhat happy and i'm excited to show ya'll what EXACTLY it means tomorrow where I will explain every change that will be made and how it helps.

<3

Gone for fix, but not objecting to a return to Vanilla

Think we need to avoid another new map until it's finished as Valhalla has shown.

We'll likely have a separate poll to decide the map if that option is picked. This is just a preliminary poll to gauge people's opinions.

Voted fix because of everything we have going for us on the server right now. However I must say that if the majority ends up wanting to move maps then I really hope we can keep our levels, imo the endgame level grind is much worse than the gathering for building or taming. Lets see what the people want.

-Peixe

I understand that there has been som issues with the Valhalla map, but its under development. I think we need to give it some time.

In my opinion, "the map" on a RP server is not important.

I understand if someone has build a brilliant base, tamed a alot of dinos, and wants to try something new. But it is now all the fun begins. Tribe wars, kidnapping, (olympics like one suggested) etc.

If people are getting bored, its not the map to blame. I agree on, that the map should be as stable as possible.

I am going to throw my vote in for starting on a new map, whether it be vanilla or "The Center". However, my vote should not count for much as I haven't been here for long. I'm just wary about admins working too hard on fixes that might not be worth it on an overloaded, unfinished map.

I am going to throw my vote in for starting on a new map, whether it be vanilla or "The Center". However, my vote should not count for much as I haven't been here for long. I'm just wary about admins working too hard on fixes that might not be worth it on an overloaded, unfinished map.

btw - everyone's opinion is important - It's you guys (and girls) who play here - the server should be what si best for all of you :)

my thoughts would be this. if your going to do a massive reduce, wipe it. that way, everyone is in the same boat, people do not feel as if they are hard done by as opposed to others, etc.

Additionally - the server is now up. I have backed up the latest few saves (along with some other stuff) and rolled it back to yesterday afternoon.

That way at least people can play while we discuss what to do :)

A wipe or map move gets my vote, as a new guy I am worlds behind established players and there are bases everywhere with demolish rights on.

A lot of this clutter may be making the server struggle. Also, I get the feeling that Valhalla is not finished as there are a lot of weird bugs.

Edit: I don't think all of us would fit on 'The Island' given the size of players bases on this map but moving to a new unfinished map is probably a bad idea too.

I'm really not sure whether The Island is big enough for all the bases. And another unfinished map would have the same result. I'm not playing for long now, but I really would like to keep my base I build for the last days :)

EDIT: If we decide to change the map, I would definitely vote for "The Center".

Now I am not really sure if I want to keep playing for the time being and keep building/finishing my base as it might be gone with a wipe or move in few days or so. Then again, changing the map might or might not resolve it. If the problem is structures and dino's, then admins really should start enforcing the downsizing. If a player/-s makes a large base with mindset of creating a tribe, yes sure. If a player makes a city sized place for living alone there - downsize!! Same goes for massive dino hoarding for single person. Even worse if the said player/-s, makes it and then goes "meh, bored" = leaves without giving a notice or demolishing it away.

At the end of the day, I don't mind either options as long as its not being taken too long to decide and keeping most of us from progressing with our game ideas.

Keep it I say, not that I'v had too much experience on this server but...

I'v been playing on several servers, some active and some not at all active, and the amount of active players this server has is simply too big for the vanilla map, and from what I heard Valhalla is somewhat bigger than the vanialla map, so Valhalla all the way, only so that people won't have to be all up in each others faces all the time, and squabble over every odd livable space.

There is just something about having a piece of land to call your own, without having every second player trying to build a house beside yours, only because there is no other livable place.

Now I am not really sure if I want to keep playing for the time being and keep building/finishing my base as it might be gone with a wipe or move in few days or so. Then again, changing the map might or might not resolve it. If the problem is structures and dino's, then admins really should start enforcing the downsizing. If a player/-s makes a large base with mindset of creating a tribe, yes sure. If a player makes a city sized place for living alone there - downsize!! Same goes for massive dino hoarding for single person. Even worse if the said player/-s, makes it and then goes "meh, bored" = leaves without giving a notice or  demolishing it away.

At the end of the day, I don't mind either options as long as its not being taken too long to decide and keeping most of us from progressing with our game ideas.

We aim to have whatever we decide done by Friday at the latest. Don't want it hanging over everyone for ages!

I would think that sticking with Valhalla is the most logical decision. We've only been on this map about 6 weeks since last wipe (if my information is correct). Many players have yet to approach end-game content levels, which while this is an RP server, game content is what attracted many of us to Ark in the first place.

Even if the admins figured out a way to carry over character levels after a server wipe to a new map - which would be amazing - everyone would be in the post-wipe scramble to build bases and tame dinos to get re-established. This inevitably means the amount of in-depth RP will take a massive hit for a few weeks.

As others have stated, The Island is likely too small for our flourishing community, while The Center would prove to be another unfinished map at this point.

Since Valhalla is planned for additional updates (MOVE THOSE BASES, people) and since ArkRP has already planned a server move, hopefully the issues from yesterday will be addressed and Valhalla becomes a more complete map.

Meanwhile, please continue to applaud the admins for working hard to keep the server up to feed our Ark-addictions!

Now I am not really sure if I want to keep playing for the time being and keep building/finishing my base as it might be gone with a wipe or move in few days or so. Then again, changing the map might or might not resolve it. If the problem is structures and dino's, then admins really should start enforcing the downsizing. If a player/-s makes a large base with mindset of creating a tribe, yes sure. If a player makes a city sized place for living alone there - downsize!! Same goes for massive dino hoarding for single person. Even worse if the said player/-s, makes it and then goes "meh, bored" = leaves without giving a notice or  demolishing it away.

We aim to have whatever we decide done by Friday at the latest. Don't want it hanging over everyone for ages!

Cheers! May you succeed with whatever is necessary to be done! :)

If the admins were to organize a "Purging Party" and travel along the coast destroying old bases, all those rafts, as well as any lost Dino's, I would expect much of the server issues to be gone. At least for another couple months before it all started piling up again.

Just an idea.... You may not need to leave Valhalla!

I would think that sticking with Valhalla is the most logical decision. We've only been on this map about 6 weeks since last wipe (if my information is correct). Many players have yet to approach end-game content levels, which while this is an RP server, game content is what attracted many of us to Ark in the first place.

Even if the admins figured out a way to carry over character levels after a server wipe to a new map - which would be amazing - everyone would be in the post-wipe scramble to build bases and tame dinos to get re-established. This inevitably means the amount of in-depth RP will take a massive hit for a few weeks.

As others have stated, The Island is likely too small for our flourishing community, while The Center would prove to be another unfinished map at this point.

Since Valhalla is planned for additional updates (MOVE THOSE BASES, people) and since ArkRP has already planned a server move, hopefully the issues from yesterday will be addressed and Valhalla becomes a more complete map.

Meanwhile, please continue to applaud the admins for working hard to keep the server up to feed our Ark-addictions!

FYI its actually been 14 weeks :)

http://www.arkrp.com/DNLRP/thread-3421.html

I feel Vanilla is the best so ive voted for a return.

I personally found Valhalla lacking. It's far too big, and unfinished, you can never be sure when a mod will just break or get thrown on the side.

I prefer Vanilla over any map. Because the need for adventure is not a viable option in an Alpha game that is still lacking main content. Also that desire to explore will always run out as it did in Valhalla. If you get this bug it's usually best to take a break and play something else then return to ARK.

The center map has done the whole "every part needs to be unique" which for me means too much. Too much uniqueness for me destroys immersion, and this is why Vanilla works.

Also we dont have to wait for the map to update as Vanilla is not a mod. Lastly we have not tried Vanilla with our new mods which will add more.

I strongly support a return to Vanilla.

Rafts are everywhere and abandoned bases are everywhere, i've reported all of them that i've seen (12 bases, 22 rafts) but they are all still there weeks later.

I have a 3 x 3 base which I think is huge, but there are some players walling off entire sections of land which should probably be looked at.

If we go to vanilla, limit's are gonna have to be put in place or we will be wall to wall. I personally think current base sizes are ridiculous.

Then there is the crazy amount of dino's in one base, I often see rows and rows of dino's. Maybe limit base sizes to 3 x 3 (x 2 high) per player or something?

So a tribe of 10 can have a massive base with their own personal quarter or something. Having a main base and many 'outposts'wastes a lot of space too.

I actually can't see bases (or loaded turrets!) on this map until I smack into them because they are so huge and take a minute or so to load.

I wonder if there is an admin or server addon or plugin that can automatically detect destructible structures that have been untouched for a set amount of time and remove them. It would probably make things a lot easier now and in the future for maintaining the server's stability, even if we go with a new map.

I wonder if there is an admin or server addon or plugin that can automatically detect destructible structures that have been untouched for a set amount of time and remove them. It would probably make things a lot easier now and in the future for maintaining the server's stability, even if we go with a new map.

There is an auto destruct setting... We have it disabled.

The reason being is that, if anyone can't be in game for a legitimate reason and have informed us, their building will still be subject to the auto demolish.

We also have a system in place to prevent any bad feelings about demolishing structures whereby we always try to contact the owners before demolishing. This wouldn't be possible with the auto demolish enabled.

Personally i think a wipe on Valhalla would be better, there are too many unfinished stories on Valhalla right now and i feel like the player base would suffer more if we move maps at this time. I would much rather see a wipe and try to make Valhalla work maybe with just tighter rules on base and dinos rather than going back to the vanilla map (which I dont personally think is really big enough) or swapping to a new map