ARK RP Rules
This section of the website will cover the rules for our community both ingame and out. Please make sure to familiarise yourself with the rules and read them carefully before applying for the whitelist. If you are unsure about any part please feel free to contact a staff member - we are here to help!
The whitelist will question your knowledge of these rules and failure to adhere to them once accepting will result in warning points, bans, and eventually permanent removal. You have been warned.
Please note - these rules may not correctly display on mobile. If this is the case please use a desktop to read.
The General Rules
This section of the rules will cover the common sense rule. This is a pretty wide reaching rule which effects both ingame and out of game.
So what is the common sense rule? Well, at it's core, the rule is just like it sounds - use common sense. However this is very vague so some specifics include:
- Act mature: No flaming, raging, offensive imagery, racism, sexism, homophobia etc. This applies to every part of the community.
- No cheating: This includes hacks, glitches, scripts, whatever else that is unfair.
- Be Respectful: Be Respectful: Don't be cruel to other players OOC, do not insult or attack other players OOC, and use your common sense when speaking to others. Remember that this is a game and we are here to have fun not hurt others for simply having different views or opinions.
Only one forum account per user unless given permission. No offensive names. If you require a second account for whatever reason please PM Tamaster. Secondary accounts must agree to the following rules:
- Punishments such as warnings will apply to both accounts.
- Both characters must not interact with each other in any way. This includes RP, sharing items etc.
- You must have a link to your primary profile in the secondary profiles signature on the forum.
Always remember to treat others how you wish to be treated though. If in doubt, use common sense - this is a mature community based around everyone having fun, those who try to damage that will be banned.
PVP on ARKRP
This section of the rules will cover the various rules that apply to open PVP whilst playing on the server. Open PVP is when PVP occurs NOT during a base attack or war.
The PVP rules dictate how and when a player or group of players is allowed to kill or attack another player or group. The general rule is no killing or attacking another player on sight. The following specific rules are in effect:
- Do Not Attack On Sight: Except some specific instances detailed later in this section you are NOT allowed to attack another player without first directly interacting with them in a hostile way via either voice or text chat. Interacting in a hostile way is defined as giving an individual or group a demand and consequence. The demand must be reasonable and achievable however, meaning that the victim must be able to comply to your demand without destroying their own survival chances. If they then refuse or ignore your demand you may carry out the consequence. You must give at least 10 seconds for the victim to respond to your demand. Responding is classed as both complying or not complying - so for example someone running or attacking IS responding. Any rights gained last for 2 hours only, rights become null and void if either party has been subdued or disarmed and no longer is deemed a threat. An example of a correct initiation would be - "Give me your food" (demand) "or I will kill you" (consequence).
- Victim Rights: If someone initiates hostilities with you then you gain rights to kill or attack them for 2 hours. These rights become null and void if either party has been subdued or disarmed and no longer is deemed a threat. Hostilities is defined as like the above rule - stating a demand and consequence. If someone gives you a demand and consequence as part of a group then you gain rights on all of the aggressors. Please note however that you must act with value for your own life. For example, one player with a pike surrounded by 4 with rifles is VERY unlikely to survive not complying and so should act as if they may actually lose their life.
- Group Rights: When initiating as part of a group any rights gained apply only to those directly involved in the situation. This is defined as actively taking part, either by speaking, overwatch or being physically present. This applies to both the victim parties and the aggressors. Any reinforcements for either side MUST initiate to take any part in a hostile situation - this includes simply acting as recon or being in the vicinity of the combat for extended amounts of time. Additionally if multiple groups are initiating on a group or individual they must work together as if they were one large group, not multiple smaller ones.
- Creature Rights: Whilst a creature has an active rider whom you have attack or kill rights on you also have attack & kill rights on the creature. If the player dismounts you retain kill or attack rights on the creature for 10 minutes, and then attack only rights for the remainder of the active PVP situation. Creatures which are taking part in a active PVP situation but are not being ridden also have attack only rights on them. For example you may tranq a robbers bird if you have attack rights on the robber themselves. Picking a player up with a bird also requires active attack or kill rights on the victim. You are NOT allowed to randomly pick up a player. In addition creatures may only be used as a consequence or demand in an initiation, never as both, and said creature in the demand must be fully grown and below level 250.
- Tranq Darts and Torpor Weaponry: 10cc Tranq darts & X-Arrows are NOT allowed to be used against other players or tamed creatures.
- Disguises & Attack Or Kill Rights: Changing your clothing, armour or paint scheme whilst you have active attack or kill rights nullifies your rights. It does not however affect the victims rights on you, provided they can correctly ID you.
Hostages can be taken by initiating on a player and using it as your demand in a normal initiation or by subduing a player you have attack or kills rights on. If a player becomes your hostage you are only able to kill them if they are listed enemies on your tribe thread. If this is the case they are allowed to be killed if roleplayed out well enough - make sure it is enjoyable for the victim. Additionally this does not mean you are allowed to permakill someone when they are your hostage unless you have permission. There are also a few specific rules you must follow so the experience is best for both parties:
- When holding a hostage the victim’s tribe has kill & attack rights on you. Once the hostage escapes/is executed then players who were directly involved from both sides have 2 hours of rights remaining on each other.
- You are only allowed to hold a player captive against their will (This means if your captive agrees to longer that is fine) for a maximum of 6 hours. During their time captive the victim must be roleplayed with - remember it has to be enjoyable for both of you.
- When you are the captive you must always act with value for your life and try your best to take an active role in the RP that is going on. It is both the hostage and the hostage takers duty to provide fun RP to each other.
- When captive a player must be kept safe, this means that any hostages you have are NOT allowed to die by any means other than execution (if allowed). By taking a captive it is your responsibility to keep them alive as best you can.
- Traps & Other Items:
The following rules apply when using traps or similar items. They must only be used as allowed here.
- Non-lethal Traps - These may be placed and left anywhere on the map BUT only when actively attended to. The owner of the trap must be near enough to have eye sight of it for it to be left there. If placed in your own base this no longer applies and they may be left as you wish. These include items like narcotic traps & beartraps.
- Lethal Or Highly Damaging Traps - These can ONLY be left at your own base, or used during PVP but in this case must ALWAYS be removed afterwards. These include things like explosives and spiked walls.
- If damaged by a trap or similar item you may gain 2 hours of kill rights on its owner ONLY if you IC know who owned it.
- Sleeping Players: If you find a player asleep in the world (not in a base) you are not allowed to kill them. kidnap them, or steal from their body. There are no exceptions to this rule. This also includes moving a sleeping body out of safety to get it killed. You are however allowed to move bodies to more secure locations for their own safety, and you are allowed to add items to their inventory, such as notes.
Remember - if unsure it is always best to avoid killing or attacking another player and instead roleplay it out. Killing or attacking should be reserved for situations where it is the only option.
The Roleplay Rules
This section of the rules will cover anything relating to roleplay. These are possibly the most important rules on the server and effects all ingame actions.
The roleplay rules dictate ways in which any player must act ingame. Whilst there is room for some looseness, roleplay is paramount to this server. The core rules regarding roleplay are as follows::
- Stay in character: You must act and speak in character at all times ingame. This includes via ingame voice or text and also includes things like valuing your own life, acting realistically and not trolling. You must also keep characters seperate, making a new character cannot be used to take or keep items from an old one. Additionally non-realistic body proportions are forbidden and your character must fit with our servers lore and be realistic. Supernatural, unrealistic, and famous characters are not allowed. In addition your character MUST fit with our lore, which can be found here - http://arkrp.com/lore.php
Good and Bad RP:
When roleplaying the following rules should be respected:
- Value For Life - You must act with care for your characters life at all times. This includes things like, but not limited to, RPing damage, fear of larger dinos, etc etc. No one is a terminator here - you are squishy and easy to kill, act like it.
- Ignoring RP - When ingame you should not ignore another's RP for OOC reasons, this includes speaking on TS, wanting to get to the next beacon and so forth. If ignoring RP is required you MUST inform them why OOC and not just ignore them.
- Game Mechanics vs RP - Sometimes game mechanics will either break or mess with RP. In these cases try your best to ignore it and carry on regardless. Things like pooping, accidentally jumping off a bird, crashing etc should be not be taken as RP unless needed.
- Talking OOC: Sometimes speaking out of character will be required (explaining a glitch, emergency log out etc). In this case please speak in text only and mark your OOC speech clearly, a common way of doing so is by typing //Your text here. OOC chat is to be used only when strictly needed, any abuse of this will be punished. If this is used in the event of a crash or disconnect RP shall pause and continue upon the re connection of the disconnected player. Please Poke or message through Team Speak if you are able that way everyone understands what is going on and RP can continue in a fair way. In the event you cannot poke or message the person on Team Speak or do not receive a response poke a staff member and they will attempt to get the message across.
Powergaming and Metagaming:
Powergaming and metagaming are both strictly forbidden. Their definitions are as follows:
- Powergaming is the act of forcing an action or state on another player without their consent as well as the act of RPing something physically impossible or such. A good example of powergaming would be "Jack rushes towards the individual ahead of him with his sword drawn and cuts of his head" as this greatly affects the person being attacked in a way they have no RP control over. A easy way to fix this is either by getting permission OOC to do it or simply making it an optional RP like so: "Jack rushes towards the individual ahead of him with his sword drawn and tries to cut off his head". Another good example would be Dragging around a bronto corpse by yourself - this is something physically impossible for a human being to do. This could be easily fixed by having other walk with you RPing as helping out.
- Metagaming is the act of using out of character information in RP. Examples include spyglassing a name and using it in roleplay, using information from the forum ingame without consent and knowing someone's name and tribe from seeing it in chat/radio. If the information is not something your character would know in the situation then you probably shouldn’t use it!
- Tribe logs are never to be used for IC purposes, this will be considered Metagaming and is punishable as such.
- Combat Logging: Combat logging is forbidden. Combat logging is the act of logging out during roleplay or combat to your advantage. If a player is interacting in a hostile way with you (or attempting to) you are not allowed to log out without first asking OOC. You are also not allowed to log out after commiting a hostile action for at least 30 minutes. We encourage you to treat logging out as a in character sleep and roleplay accordingly.
- New Life Rule: Once killed your character forgets that they have died and instead are "critically wounded". This means that whilst your character can remember who killed you and why, you are unable to remember where you died and lose any attack or kill rights you may have had when killed, including on those who killed you. You are also not allowed to mention the fact you died in roleplay and instead must explain how you survived such an awful wound, recovering from said wound must take at least 3 days (real life time) and you are not allowed to ride creatures or wear any armour above cloth for 20 minutes (real life time) after death. Additionally, if you died during active RP or PVP then once respawned you must stay at least 1 grid square away from the area of your death for at least 30 minutes. If killed during an active PVP situation you cannot participate in PVP against the same people for 120 minutes.
- Romance, Erotic RP, Violent RP & Adult RP: On ARKRP our age limit is 16 or older meaning community members might be underage in their respective countries. Due to this erotic roleplay is forbidden on ARKRP. Erotic roleplay is deemed as anything explicit - kissing, hugs, flirting etc are all fine. In addition, overly detailed descriptions of torture, gore or anything else considered "18+" are not allowed. Torture is otherwise only allowed with the explicit OOC permission of both parties.
Always remember this is a roleplay server - you must RP with those around you, not ignore RP and character should only be broken in emergencies.
Base attack & War Rules
This section of the rules will cover base attacks and wars. These are important rules for ensuring fun gameplay on the server and effects all ingame actions.
These rules dictate ways in which any player must act ingame. Whilst there is room for some exceptions, fun is paramount to this server and these rules will stop griefing from effecting this. The rules regarding base attacks and wars are as follows:
Base Attack Rules:
When attacking a base it is always required to initiate fully and correctly by giving a demand and consequence before attacking, this initiation must be done via either text only or both voice and text. If multiple groups are attacking a base they must initate and act as one large group, not multiple smaller ones. To initiate on a base you must have a good and valid IC reason for doing so and the demand must be specific as well as achieveable by the victim just as with open PVP. You are only allowed one demand for the attack, and this is the only thing you can follow through on - for example if your demand is for a robber to stop robbing and disarm themselves, you would be allowed to take weapons and weapon BPs but not resources, food, eggs etc. By initiating on someones base you give them 2 hours of attack & kill rights on yourself and any tribe you are a member of.
If you receive no answer to your initiation then you are allowed to raid the base. When raiding you must follow the rules below:
- You may only harm creatures or sentries which are a direct threat to you (ie. Currently attacking you).
- During a raid a solo player may only take items up to a total of 6 inventory slots, and a group may only take items up to a total of 12 inventory slots, regardless of the group size. In addition, you may only take items during the initial attack - no coming back for more once you leave.
- You are NOT allowed to use Apex creatures (Mosa, Bronto, Quetz, Giga) for anything during the raid.
- Once you have finished your raid it is required to leave a note or mail (using the postal system) detailing some form of clue as to your identity. These clues must be obvious enough to allow the raided player(s) a chance to figure out who you are and take revenge. Some examples of clue would be: scrapes of armour paint, spray painted tags, an actual note written by the raiders etc.
- Any players found asleep must remain untouched. This includes stealing, hurting or anything else. You may move them to safer locations in their own base or leave notes on their bodies.
- During a raid you may only cause the smallest amount of damage possible to fulfill your stated demand. This means using the correct tool for the job, minimizing any collateral damage and generally trying to do the least amount of damage possible.
- Passive creatures may be tranqed to access their inventory but their saddles are not allowed to be taken and any accidental deaths will be punished.
If you initiate and the player/s inside the base refuse your demand you may then assault the base. When assaulting you must follow the rules below:
- You may destroy structures to gain access to non-complying players but you must also take care to not do too much damage. Blowing up some extra walls to get to a guy is fine, knocking down an entire structure is not.
- You are NOT allowed to use Apex creatures for anything during the assault.
- Any reinforcements for either side MUST initiate to take any part in a hostile situation - this includes simply acting as recon or being in the vicinity of the combat for extended amounts of time.
- During a assault a solo player may only take items up to a total of 15 inventory slots, and a group may only take items up to a total of 30 inventory slots, regardless of the group size. In addition, you may only take items during the initial attack - no coming back for more once you leave.
- Sleeping players may be stolen from but are not to be injured or killed. Again they may be moved to a safer location within their own base and may have items left on their bodies.
- Once your demand has been met you must finish up and leave. Additionally if your demand is achieved via force (ie you kill everyone) then the normal raiding rules for getting to your demand take place. For example no causing excessive structure or creature damage to get to loot and only attack creatures who are a direct threat to you.
- Raids: If you receive no answer to your initiation then you are allowed to raid the base. When raiding you must follow the rules below:
Tribe Warfare Rules:
To declare war a tribe/individual (and any allies or mercenaries which will join in), with valid IC reason included, must either post on the tribe thread of the opposing tribe or PM the individual if not in a tribe. There is then a 24 hour time period before the war becomes active. During this time period, the opposing tribe/individual can choose to respond to the declaration with an agreement to go to war or an IC reasoning why the declaration isn't valid. If the opposing tribe/individual chooses to dispute the war declaration, they must respond to the aggressors and inform staff via PM (GMs or higher specifically, preferably as many staff as possible) with a copy of the war declaration and your dispute. Once the dispute has been submitted, the war timer is put on hold until staff responds (shouldn't be longer than 1 day). After review, the staff will decide if the war declaration has valid IC reasoning and also whether or not to allow the dispute. Should the staff team declare the war invalid (either the declaration being invalid or the dispute being valid) then the war declaration is instantly nullified. Should the staff team declare the war valid (the dispute being denied) then the war will be permitted 24 hours after that point, giving both sides time to prepare. If the war declaration is ignored, then it will be permitted and the tribe being attacked has missed their oppotunity to dispute the war declaration. Accepted wars last for 72 hours realtime and carry the following benefits for all sides involved:
- Rights to attack, not kill, the enemy tribe/s during the entire war period. Be warned though, killing or attacking anyone innocent will be dealt with harshly.
- The ability to sabotage the enemy tribe's essential systems (irrigation, electric wires, turrets etc) via damaging them or other means.
- The ability to conduct sneak attacks on the enemy tribe, raiding their bases without the need to initiate.
- The ability to keep players of the enemy tribe hostage for up to 24 hours.
- The ability to use Apex creatures during base attacks.
- The ability to fully destroy any outpost during a base assault. Please note this is only during an ASSAULT not a raid, and only outposts - not the main base. You must be certain that you are attacking an outpost before destroying it. If you wish to destroy a main base it must be with staff permission.
- Stealing From Containers In The Open: Players may steal from unlocked containers that are left in the open without needing to initiate - however if caught actively stealing (ie inventory open at a container) by the owner they instantly gain the right to attack you for 2 hours.
- Harassment Rules: To keep a sense of fair play and fun for all involved some rules are in place to stop harassment of players. Each tribe/group may only be the aggressor declaring war once every week. Any player/tribe/group may only raid or assault each settlement once every 48 hrs in order to give the victim(s) some respite. The respite turns void when the victim(s) initiates on the other player/tribe/group before the 48 hrs period is up. Staff may declare the time period longer if deemed necessary. Harassing a player/group/tribe constantly by initiating on them against their wishes is frowned upon and will lead to actions being taken, remember that RP should be fun for both parties.
Remember - the easiest way to not grief is to think, would you like this action taken against you? Always think before committing an action that may hurt another player.
Building and Dinosaur Rules
This section of the rules will cover buildings and dinosaurs. These are important rules for ensuring fun gameplay on the server and effects all ingame actions.
- Solo players may have a total of 18 dinos, and tribes gain half of that for each player after the first. For example, a tribe of 10 players would get 99 dinos (the first player gets 18, and then there's an extra 81 dinos because of the other 9 players) Please use the new ticket system to report anyone breaking this rule.
- Solo Players/Tribes may only have a maximum of 2 Apex Creatures
- Players may gain access to extra dinosaurs of specific species for RP purposes by applying for a license. Each tribe may only have a maximum of 6 licenses. This can be done HERE and more rules can be found at the link.
- Solo players are limited to 1 platform saddle, tribes are limited to 2 platform saddles.
- It is important to build your bases within reason and to not make them too large or complicated. The more buildings on the server the worse the performance so please bear this in mind when building. If you see a base which is too large or too much please report it via ticket, these are entirely anonymous.
- Each tribe may have a single outpost in addition to their main base. This outpost may not be larger than 50% the size of your main base. Solo players may only have one main base. Please use the new ticket system to report anyone breaking this rule. If a tribe or individual requires any extra outposts (for example for an RP event) then you may request one via support ticket.
- Structures that are abandoned or made demolishable can be taken down by any player once given the go ahead on their ticket. Please use the new ticket system to report abandoned buildings or dinos.
- Any rafts which are abandoned and empty may be destroyed. Abandoned rafts with buildings on should be reported via ticket like any other building.
- Bases built on rafts follow all the usual base rules including outpost rules, size rules and more.
- When claiming land it is required to use actual structures (roofs + door required for example) and signs, these structures must be at least 4 connected foundations or larger. Any solitary pillars or foundations will not be counted and may be removed by any player.
- Land claims must not block too many resource spawns (creature or material).
It is forbidden to build bases in/on following locations:
- The Obelisks and their bases
- Underwater Bubbles
- The Iceberg
- Under the world, on the edge of the world or any other exploitable location
You also may not block any caves or cave loot crates, however building inside of caves is allowed.
- Rafts are to be treated as buildings at all times but must be treated with extra care. Excessive damage which destroys the raft will be punished. Platform saddled dinos are both - anything that would affect the buildings on their back in a negative way falls under base rules, but anything simply regarding the animal falls under animal rules. (I.E. you’d have to use PVP rules to get into the building but you could still tranq the dino as long as you followed THOSE rules.)
- When using turrets of any sort located outside of structures they must kept at lowest possible range and the highest possible warning timer if set to target players or tamed dinos. If set to target ONLY wild dinos turrets may be at no warning, medium range. During an assault or war turrets may be set at high range, high warning timer and the timer may be lowered IF given staff permission.
This section of the rules will cover any rules that don't fit in the previous categories.
- Bosses or other summoned creatures should not be captured or trapped to farm for personal use.
- Flying creatures are not allowed to be left on aggresive.
Players are held responsible for, and can be punished for, the actions of their dinosaurs. This includes but is not limited to:
- Giga Enrage
- Attack AOE
- Stomp Damage
- Aggressive Dinos
There are some restrictions on weapon and armour values:
- Weapon damage above 180% is not allowed.
- Armour value of over 250 per piece is not allowed.
- Saddles have an armour value limit of 70.
- Tools have a damage % limit of 250%
There are some restrictions on using diseases as a weapon as follows:
- Dropping diseased creatures into players bases is NOT allowed.
- Dropping diseased corpses into players bases is NOT allowed.
- Purposefully infecting other players in order to troll or grief them is NOT allowed.
- Painting other players, creatures or bases without permission is considered griefing and will be punished. The only exception to this are flags & signs.
- Mod items must be used responsibly - using things like the deadpool mask for badRP will be punished harshly.
- Similarly mod items must be used with common sense - especially those which add new structures or buildables. Walls of trees for example are disallowed as are double layer carbon walls, and it is reccomended to keep object density in mind when placing items.
- Falsifying staff information or impersonating a staff member is forbidden and will result in a harsh punishment.
- Lying in a report or ban appeal is forbidden and punishable.
If you have any suggestions for rule additions or changes please PM a admin and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Good luck on your whitelist!