ARK: Survival Evolved RP
Lore help - Printable Version

+- ARK: Survival Evolved RP (http://www.arkrp.com)
+-- Forum: Support & Reports (http://www.arkrp.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.arkrp.com/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Lore help (/thread-8799.html)

Lore help - TreeDog76 - 11-01-2017

Two things:

I didn't see this on the lore page, but how long has it been since the barriers dropped? Have they just droppped as we've started playing?

Secondly, my character's intended backstory is that she was aboard a ship that was at sea when the barriers went up and spent the 500 years on the open water with other stranded vessels who came together to form a sea faring community. Does this idea conflict with the way the barriers were deployed and operated?

Thanks, and sorry if this is information that was already covered but I didn't see it on the lore page.

RE: Lore help - loonyrun - 11-01-2017

It has been twenty years, if the Volume 1 Launch thread is anything to go by. They should put it into the lore again, though.

For your second question a lore master should be able to answer it better, but as far as I know, what were enclosed were islands or obelisks, if their island is underground/underwater for example. I don't know if there was space between the barriers, so that ships passing between islands were captured, but even if... surviving only on fish and sea water for 500 years is not really plausible.

Again, I'm not an expert, have only asked quite a lot of questions, too.

RE: Lore help - TreeDog76 - 11-01-2017

(11-01-2017, 03:15 PM)loonyrun Wrote: It has been twenty years, if the Volume 1 Launch thread is anything to go by. They should put it into the lore again, though.

For your second question a lore master should be able to answer it better, but as far as I know, what were enclosed were islands or obelisks, if their island is underground/underwater for example. I don't know if there was space between the barriers, so that ships passing between islands were captured, but even if... surviving only on fish and sea water for 500 years is not really plausible.

Again, I'm not an expert, have only asked quite a lot of questions, too.

Thanks for that info on the timeline, Loony. Smile

As for the plausibility of it, I was thinking of ships out on the deep seas not between smaller islands, perhaps ships that travelled to distant lands or even other continents that haven't been mentioned in lore but would likely be there, considering we're inhabiting an entire world supposedly.

Regarding their dietary concerns, I think it could be a manageable, albeit not ideal lifestyle. A diet primarily of fish isn't a bad thing at all, and there are certain plants like kelp, seaweed, etc that might be edible in a pinch.

In addition, these were merchant ships, meaning they would have had exotic (or native) plants, animals - things that could be farmed and raised. I imagined ships converting entire sections of their vessels into greenhouses and animal farms.

There would also be the odd island, not really big enough to have been inhabited or even charted but with perhaps an acre or two of plant life at the very least, as well as trees that they could build and repair with. Such islands would be rare of course. And then there's birds, some of which are known to fly many miles away from mainlands. Salvaging sunken vessles would also be a big part of their routine -which is something my character excels at. Retrieving things from the deep blue.

Edit: oh and I forgot to add - you could survive off of rain water even IRL with the right filtration system. All you would need is the facilities to capture and store it, which they would have. Vessels that made a living travelling the seas for weeks at a time, you would imagine they would already have methods of ibtaining fresh water anyway.

So basically we're talking about a convoy of merchant ships, coming together and sharing resources in a seafaring community, not necessarily "thriving", but I could certainly see surviving.

I'm interested in what you think of such a community's plausibility, having heard of it in a little more detail. Please let me know Smile

Actually as I describe it I realize it's a society similar to the one in the anime "Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet", if you've ever seen it.

RE: Lore help - Amphitrite - 17-01-2017

Hi @TreeDog76 do you believe your question has been answered or would you like a loremaster to weigh in on it?

RE: Lore help - TreeDog76 - 17-01-2017

Yeah the 2nd question wasn't answered at all, but tbh I wasn't really holding my breath for an answer I just went ahead and went with it, lol. My character's origins came up a few times in RP already and I didn't see anything in the lore that says my character's background isn't plausible, so. Hopefully no one bursts my bubble and tells me I have to retcon a bunch of RP Smile

RE: Lore help - Pia - 17-01-2017

Hi Treedog,

I just poked the Loremaster team about your second question.

Sadly, this won't be an acceptable background. They came to the conclusion that it created an issue with the possibility of communication. There would also be no land. For a few years it is possible, but for over 500 years, on the sea with no ability to find any resources like wood, and what not to repair the ship. As well as dealing with certain diseases and other such things would make it pretty much impossible for this to happen. And, anyone outside the barriers would have perished as great storms and un-inhabitable weather would have existed.

If you want to talk in more detail with a loremaster, please PM @Arithease here on the forums, on TS or on Discord and he will assist you.

So sorry!

In regards to you retconning it. Instead of retconning it, you could RP out that she was confused, or her brainwas muddled. Arithease had some great suggestions as well!

" She could also believe for whatever reason, that it happened. Perhaps through some sort of traumatic injury in her past that made her forget what really happened. Perhaps she is simply lying to others to protect her true past and where she came from. The reasonings for this are endless, from her simply wanting a "Fresh start" to someone that wants to perhaps kill her, etc... Perhaps she simply wanted too see how others would react to the news that there were some outside the barrier as some sort of social experiment. He doesn't have to Retcon the roleplay, so long as he understand that it would have been impossible for his character to have survived outside the barriers. He will need to change the actual backstory of his character around a little. If he needs any help with this, he is definitely welcome to contact me!"

Thanks, Arithease for your help! Smile

Hm. Wish I'd gotten this response a week ago. Thanks.

RE: Lore help - Pia - 17-01-2017

We do apologize! It was a crazy, hectic week as you can imagine, with the launch and all. I would suggest PMing or poking any of our lovely Loremasters directly in the future for the fastest response!

I'm sorry whichever direction you go in will be a lot of fun, and you'll have great RP adventures!

Do you mind if this is marked as solved? Again, Arithease has volunteered to help you in any way possible if you need further clarification.

Yep, that's fine.